Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fit to Burst

"It is Christ's faithfulness that enables ours."

I've mentioned more than once my affinity for Loving the Little Years, which I've read three times in less than two years! Therefore, I was very eager to get my hands on a copy of author Rachel Jankovic's recently-released second book, Fit to Burst.

The bottom line is that I liked Fit to Burst, but I didn't love it. I felt this book was more preachy, and though I appreciated many of the insights, I didn't connect to as much of the material as I did in LTLY. With that being said, I would still recommend Fit to Burst, just not as heartily. However, I still found plenty to think about. Here are some of the quotes I've been pondering:

"We should be blessing others, thinking of others, giving to others. And we should be doing it so freely that we don't remember it, because we are willing to wait to see what is done with it." 

Totally connected with this question: "How can you both work diligently on a to-do list and cheerfully lay it down when you are interrupted?" Anybody have a great answer?!


"Our opportunities to bless our children are often most present when we least feel like it. This is why we cannot depend on our emotions to dictate our actions . .  . Look for how you can use this {wild, tense} situation to bless them {your children}.

"God does not want us to be stagnant, to sit still, to rest on the laurels of success. He has us in training--He is pushing us to grow, to learn, to confess, to rely on Him more, to give more to others, to work harder, to laugh more. This is Christian discipleship."

"If the law is the skeleton, grace is the flesh. Without the law in there, the grace is just a blob. And without the grace, the law can't move . . . Your parenting needs to represent both the law and the grace to your children." And later, she says that the point of both law and grace is "restoration, forgiveness and joy." Love that.

"Obedience is bigger than discouragement, and the two cannot live side by side. When you need encouragement, obey. When you are tired, walk. When you feel lost, remember. The more you discipline yourself to overcome discouragement with obedience, the less discouragement there will be to overcome."


I appreciate that the format of the book is 18 brief chapters totaling 120 pages. Since I'm often reading in quick 10-minute bursts, I liked that I could cruise through a chapter or two in one sitting. (The negative is paying $14 for such a slim book!)

Have you read Fit to Burst? What was your take on it?

4 comments:

angie said...

I have not read either of these books. Even though I am no longer the mother of children in the "little years", I could certainly relate to some of the author's quotes from "Fit to Burst." What season of parenting does it address?

Mom said...

I haven't read these books, but definitely identified with this paragraph you quoted:

"Obedience is bigger than discouragement, and the two cannot live side by side. When you need encouragement, obey. When you are tired, walk. When you feel lost, remember. The more you discipline yourself to overcome discouragement with obedience, the less discouragement there will be to overcome."

That applies to all of us no matter what season of life we're in!

Thanks for sharing -- love you, Mom

Carrie said...

Well, you know my thoughts! I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED LTLY and still enjoyed Fit to Burst but not as much. :) Pretty much the same as you!

Katie said...

I haven't read this, Carrie, but I appreciate your review!