Wednesday, June 12, 2013

From Garbage to Gourmet 2

I posted last week after reading an excerpt from this intriguing book, and today I'd like to share some additional suggestions I gleaned from reading the entire book.

*One of the main ideas Carrie writes about is using a "broth bucket" in your freezer to collect meat and veggie scraps of all kinds. I seem to recall my mom doing this, but I've never tried it. I do make my own chicken broth, but I rarely add extras to the chicken and water, unless I'm making chicken and rice soup. I'm curious if any of you save bits and pieces for the purpose of flavoring your own stock/broth?

*I had no idea you could grow your own celery and green onion on the countertop--this is something I want to think more about, because we use those veggies in such small quantities.

*Carrie suggests using basil stems as well as leaves when making pesto since everything gets pureed anyway. I never thought of that--less waste, and less work!

*I'm interested in a couple unusual recipes: making cookies using leftover oatmeal and cooking potato peel crisps. We do compost potato peels and other scraps, but this even beats composting!

I would definitely recommend this e-book, and through today it's on half-price sale for just $4.99. Seems like a good investment to me since you'll be wasting less groceries by implementing some of these ideas! I hope you'll consider checking it out.

5 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Yes, I remember mom saving broth and veggie bits for vegetable soup! Glad you enjoyed the book so much and have found some good ideas!

Kara K said...

I like the basil idea! I'm going to try this!

Wendi said...

I sometimes save bits and pieces for making broth. I will also save bits and pieces of cooked meat and veggies to throw into a soup or stew.

Katie said...

I've enjoyed reading both of your posts on this e-book. Love the whole idea of it ~ stewardship & healthy eating ~ a lovely combo.

Ironically enough, a dear friend from church yesterday (we've been talking about gardening for awhile) emailed me about using up garden scraps in smoothies and said "Waste not want not." =) She mentioned to me in her email that she eats carrot tops, radish tops, and grape leaves and other green trimmings from the garden (in smoothies or otherwise) that most people would throw away.

This totally reminded me of your post! =) I'm off to check out the e-book.

Blessings and good night!
Katie

|åƱȩȠȡȅɍ ȶῢⱠⱡⱣž said...

A broth bucket?? This sounds cool! Need to try this!