Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Book list

Continuing my annual tradition of keeping a list of the books I've read--last year I read 60; this yea, I came in just shy of that at58. Nathan has recently begun reading chapter books on his own so I had him start a little notebook where he can write down titles and authors. I love being able to see what I've read!

1. Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst (Re-read)
2. Naomi's Gift by Amy Clipston (Not my favorite genre, but I received it for Christmas, and I liked the main character's name!)
3. Bloom by Kelle Hampton (Recommended by Monica, I flew through this emotionally-compelling memoir in just a couple days)
4. The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno (Intrigued by the concept of paring down to 100 personal items, but the book was not well-written in my opinion. Too repetitive and rambling.)
5. Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott (I've read all of Lamott's non-fiction. She has a unique way of sharing about spirituality.)
6.Find More Time by Laura Stack (My mom sent me this one, and I enjoyed reading about ways to improve efficiency and productivity--although she relies much heavier on delegating and hiring out than I would ever feel comfortable with.)
7. She's Gonna Blow by Julie Ann Barnnhill (Not a fun read, but an important book for moms who struggle with anger.)
8. Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch (Interesting account of a woman who reads an entire book every day for a year in an effort to help deal with the loss of her sister.)
9. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Fascinating novel about a boy with autism, but it's hard to recommend it because of the rough language.)
10. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (This young adult novel was eagerly recommended to me. It is a unique and quirky story about two teenagers who are battling cancer.)
11. Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel (Tips and tricks for disciplining children.)
12. Mother Styles by Janet P. Penley (Based on the Myers-Briggs test, this book examines your style as a mother based on your M-B type. Very interesting!)
13. Fit to Burst by Rachel Jankovic (Already reviewed)
14. 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith {AMS} (I'd enjoyed some novels by this author last year and decided to try a new series. Entertaining with well-developed and complex characters.)
15. Treasuring God in Our Traditions by Noel Piper (Re-read from several years ago--full of gems)
16. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (My blog friend Carrie's review intrigued me so much that I flew through this mysterious young adult novel in one day!)
17. A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans (I just heard of this author last year, and she is definitely controversial! While I certainly don't agree with everything she says/believes, I found her account very interesting indeed.)
18. The Meaning of Marriage by Tim and Kathy Keller (Eric and I read this together, and it took us a looong time. We both really liked the first half of the book, but the second half produced less thought and discussion.)
19. Love Does by Bob Goff (Inspiring and unique, I really enjoyed this book.)
20. The Good Life for Less by Amy Allen Clark (I've read Amy's blog for years--in fact, it was the first one besides Monica's that I started reading 7 years ago. I always enjoy books on this topic.)
21. The Sunday Philosophy Club by AMS
22. Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by AMS
23. Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster Cline and Jim Fay (Eric and I attended a Love and Logic class last spring--I think there are definitely some good principles to apply from this material, though it admittedly takes more mental "work" to go this route!)
24. The Right Attitude to Rain by AMS
25. Garbology by Edward Humes (More academic than I expected, but I am intrigued and disturbed by the amounts of trash we produce in this country and I wanted to learn more.)
26. The Careful Use of Compliments by AMS
27. The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner (I read about this book in a health magazine and thought it would be very interesting, which it was. I've intended to blog about it, and it hasn't happened yet, but the author travels to several pockets around the world where there are high concentrations of longevity and unpacks the cultural distinctions that contribute to long life.)
28. Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (This is a long-time favorite of my mom's so I finally decided to read it. While I didn't connect with it as much as she has, there are definitely pieces I can relate to in being a mom to young children!)
29.French Kids Eat Everything by Karen LeBillon (Loved this book about French food culture and how we can apply some of those same principles in the U.S. I was particularly fascinated by the emphasis on not giving kids snacks, and in encouraging them to eat adventurously. I have three fairly picky eaters.)
30. From Garbage to Gourmet by Carrie Isaacs (Already reviewed)
31. Mindset for Moms by Jamie Martin (Re-read)
32. The Lost Art of Gratitude by AMS
33. The Charming Quirks of Others by AMS
34. The Forgotten Affairs of Youth by AMS
35. Extreme Couponing by Joni Meyer-Crothers (While I am certainly not an extreme couponer, I definitely use coupons on a regular basis and enjoy this strategy of saving money on products I need. I haven't seen the famous show, but I've heard plenty. I did enjoy the book.)
36. Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine (Young adult novel recommended by a teacher friend of mine--quick, compelling read.)
37. The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds by AMS
38. Sleeping in Eden by Nicole Baart (One of my favorite books of the year--the author is local and I've read most of her books. I could not put this novel down. A haunting story.)
39. Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker (Monica generously purchased a copy of this book for her and one for me so we could read it together this summer. We emailed each other snippet responses after reading each daily entry. Neat to do it with her and nice quick devotional thoughts for busy moms!)
40. Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin (I enjoyed this book about making our homes truly homey and therefore happy.)
41. Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich (Fascinating account by a journalist of her going undercover as a poverty-level blue-collar worker.)
42. Moonlight Sonata at the Mayo Clinic by Nora Gallagher (I didn't love this book, but the title caught my eye since Eric and I spent several weeks at Mayo last winter. I think I will always have an emotional connection to that place and to others who spend time there.)
43. Green Mama by Tracey Bianchi (Eco-friendly living--another topic I gravitate towards, though with all the books I've read on the subject, I don't often come across new ideas anymore--just ones I need to be reminded of!)
44. Craving Grace Like Chocolate by Ruthie Delk (This book was sent to me by a friend--thanks, J!--and is an in-depth look on finding our true identity in Christ.)
45. Making It by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen (Fascinating book about homesteading and making all kinds of necessities at home. I plan to check this out again soon to try some of the ideas, as I read it at a really busy time.)
46. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn (I recalled hearing about this book years ago when it came out and decided to see what it was about. Very insightful look into what men are often thinking and feeling.)
47. Green, Greener, Greenest by Lori Bongiorno (See #43)
48. Andy Catlett by Wendell Berry (A lovely novel by a favorite author)
49. Big Waves, Small Boat, Two Kids (Written by the friend of a friend, this was an interesting book about a family who sailed halfway around the world, something I would never want to do!)
50. Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler (Heartbreaking love story set in a tumultuous time in the South)
51. Keeping House by Margaret Kim Peterson (Already reviewed)
52. The Artist's Daughter by Alexandra Kuykendall (This is the MOPS book for the year, and I truly loved reading this memoir. I could relate to much of what she wrote about in her time as a new wife and mom.)
53. Daring Greatly by Brene Brown (I'd heard a lot about this book and wanted to read it myself. The author studies vulnerability, and I found her insights and examples to be fascinating.)
54. The Innkeeper by John Piper (A quick read appropriate to the Christmas season)
55. Beyond Ordinary by Justin and Trisha Davis (I heard these authors speak at MomCon and their story made an impression on me. After walking a long, hard path of marriage together, God brought them to a place of healing and they started a ministry to encourage other married couples. I recommend this book.)
56. A Homemade Year by Jerusalem Jackson Greer (Lovely book of crafts ideas and spiritual insights organized by the liturgical calendar.)
57. Friendships Don't Just Happen by Shasta Nelson (Recommended by my mom, this was very thought-provoking and I intend to post on it soon.)
58. Jesus Calling by Sarah Young (Third year in a row--still love it!)

Have you read any of these books? Are any of them on your to-read list? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

8 comments:

Mom said...

I always enjoy seeing the lists of books that you and Monica have read and enjoyed. :) I've read these books on your list:

Bloom
The 100 Thing Challenge
Find More Time (I still have your copy and will return soon)
Gift from the Sea
Nickel and Dimed
Friendships Don't Just Happen
Jesus Calling

I read 47 books this year. My favorites were books in the Baxter family series by Karen Kingsbury (fiction) and non-fiction books Amish Peace by Suzanne Woods Fisher and Unfinished by Richard Stearns.

Do you have a list of books you want to read in 2014? I start with a list (I've added a few from your 2013 list!) and then see what others come across my path. :)

Happy reading in the new year! Love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Fun to see your list! I've read a few books on your list as well. Hmmm, wonder who I loaned Out of the Spin Cycle to? Would like to re-read.

Curious about the series/repeat author I saw on your list. Do you think I'd like them?

Leah said...

I, too, would love to see a list of books you plan to read in 2014. I am just finishing the Lowlands series by Liz Curtis Higgs - my favorite of all time. Hope you have a wonderful new year, Carrie!

Jenny's Heart said...

Thank you for a year of inspiration and creativity.
Happy New Year
Jenny

Lisa said...

Hi Carrie,

This is a great list. I found many new books to put on hold at the library. I love your balance of fiction and nonfiction. The one bummer was that my library does not have Friendships Don't Just Happen. That sounds like such a neat book. Happy New Year!

Lisa

angie said...

I made a list from your reading to possibly read in 2014. Thank you for your honest recommendations.
Following in your example, I kept track of my reading In 2013. I read 31 books. I'd like to increase that to 36 in 2014. I wish I had kept a list all of my adulthood.
What genre would you place AMS books in? Is there an author you can compare him to?

kelseylynae said...

I'm very impressed that you read 58 books with three kids at your heels :) It makes this word-loving-lady happy though to know that if I want to, I'll still be able to after our second addition arrives!

I've read several on the list-- most per your recommendation. :) "Help, Thanks, Wow" is high on my list right now. I just received Lamott's "Operating Instructions" and will read that first though.

Happy New Year!

Starline PTA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.