Monday, January 6, 2014

Frugal accomplishments

I've continued compiling my frugal accomplishments over holiday vacation, so this list is from the past 3 weeks. These posts have been getting hundreds of hits (presumably via Internet searches), so I'd love to receive a comment if you're new here.

*Purchased a couple clothing items at the thrift store
*Used a coupon for a free mini pizza that Nathan earned through school
*Saved most of the gift bags and tissue paper we received--I can't remember the last time I bought either--it's been years
*Mended two pairs of pants, including Nathan's school snowpants, which were in appalling condition (He wears them every day at recess they stay in his locker, so I hadn't seen them for awhile since he brought them home over break!)
*Used a coupon to get my hair cut
*Redeemed a mailer coupon for $3 off a $3 purchase at a toy store--made my total as close to $3 as possible, so I got one free item and spent less than a dollar on the second. These will be for shoeboxes next year!
*Used the rest of our coupons to get free Frosties--yum!
*Paid for part of a supper date with a gift card
*Scored 2 cups of free ice cream with coupons I'd printed
*Went ice skating and paid just $3 for our family to skate (The rink was free, and two of us have ice skates, so the remaining was skate rental for 2 people.)
*Made a twice-annual trip to Aldi (We don't have one near us), where I stocked up on cost-effective staples like tortillas (99 cents for 10--great price, and I like the size and taste) and dried cranberries.
*Stopped by Hobby Lobby during the 80% off clearance, and bought a unique nativity set for the kids' room and a cute Christmas box for storage
*Ran to Michael's to get a few specific Christmas items for next year--they were 70% off and I had a gift card, plus I used a 50% off coupon on my one non-clearance item. I was pumped!
*Combined clearance prices and a coupon to get some great deals for the kids at Kohl's
*Picked up a free box of crackers with a coupon I received in the mail
*Scored a few goodies from a great-aunt who was downsizing--a couple games, a puzzle, a small bowl, a glass container for leftovers, and a nice coffee carafe
*Purchased 4 boxes of granola bars (normally $2.69 each) for just $4 total, combining a sale and two B1G1 coupons
*Took advantage of a New Year's special to earn double points and entered enough KFR codes to earn 3000 points
*Made homemade onion soup mix

It's January, and that means it's time for my 5th annual pantry challenge! I'll share more specifics soon.

I'd love to hear some of your recent frugal accomplishments!

6 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Great job, Carrie! My mind is nearly always blank after reading your list :)

Wendi said...

Great job! I love seeing your list. I love shopping the clearance rack at Kohls for Megan. I score some great deals that way.

Anonymous said...

I love your frugal accomplishments posts! It makes me want to blog, just so I can list mine (and therefore, because I'm going to list them for all to see, do more frugal things!)

Thanks for your lovely blog.

Alice

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I am so inspired by your frugal posts that I am starting a Frugal Friday on my blog starting this Friday and will run every other week.

I saved in some of the ways you did also. Mended 2 pairs of jeans, saved all our bags and tissue paper and took advantage of the double Kellogg points, but didn't get as many as you. WOW! 3000 pts is awesome.

I have a big list that will be posted on my blog Friday, if you would like to stop by.

I would love your recipe for onion soup mix.

Mom said...

Another great list :) - I also saved Christmas gift bags, purchased several small items for 50 cents each on the Target Dollar Spot clearance which will be used for stocking stuffers or shoeboxes, and got a six-pack of Kleenex for under $4 combining a sale with coupon plus got a $1.00 off my next purchase of anything at Walgreens (which expires today, so I'm stopping there on my way home from work!). I'm cleaning out my pantry this month, too! :) Love you, Mom

Speaky1013 said...

Good job, honey!! You're the Queen of Frugality!! :)

LOVED seeing you last week!!