Friday, May 30, 2014

The ABC's of summer

This is our third year of making an alphabetized list of fun summer activities. You can see past posts here.

I'll do an end-of-summer update as well, but wanted to share my list now as well in case others need inspiration. (And I'd love to hear your ideas as well!) There are of course many other things we'll do this summer, but I like having a list to consult when I need an idea.

A---- park--We've kept this tradition, though we'll go to a different park in our neighboring town.
Bowling--This is a repeat, too, but it's hard to beat with the free program offered.
Camping
Dairy -----Ice cream treats from a local spot
Entrepreneurial lemonade stand--This was such a success last year (our kids and two neighbor kids made over $40!) so I know they'll be begging to do this again.
Fishing day--Eric's already taken the older kids fishing several times, but this is a specific organized local event
Golf--First one, down. I bought a discount certificate for half-price mini golfing at a place we'd never been before. Keeping it real--the beginning was fun, the middle was full of tears, and thankfully they rallied some by the end. It was a difficult course, so maybe we can find more suited to children later this summer. Naomi loved getting a plastic club and tagging along!
Habitat program--held one morning at a local state park
Ice cube painting
Jump on neighbors' trampoline
Kansas City--I'm taking the kids next week to visit my grandma and aunt and to meet up with Monica and her kiddos for a few days
Laundromat--We take our comforters for an annual cleaning, and I thought we could make an outing out of it
Marble water slide--A fun idea I found on-line where you slice open a pool noodle to create a marble track
Nature center--Somewhere we've never been but have been wanting to check out
Outdoor movie--There are a few options at parks throughout the region, so hopefully one will work out
Play center--An indoor place with inflatables and other activities
Quilt reading party
Races 
Stairwell slide (using a huge box)
Trail ride--a local bike path
Unique treats from a local Mexican bakery
Visit a county fair--As long as we've lived here, we have never gone to our county's fair
Water park
eXciting water games
Yogurt shop
Zoo
Here's hoping for a fun summer!

7 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

So cute! Remember when you go to the Laundromat, that we used to play ice cream shop with the open dryers - my kids LOVE doing this! We've only gone a couple of times but it is always a hit!

Anonymous said...

Your list sounds like great fun Carrie. I'm especially excited about the trip to K.C. Can't wait to see you next week.
Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Your list sounds like great fun Carrie. I'm especially excited about the trip to K.C. Can't wait to see you next week.
Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Your list sounds like great fun Carrie. I'm especially excited about the trip to K.C. Can't wait to see you next week.
Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Your list sounds like great fun Carrie. I'm especially excited about the trip to K.C. Can't wait to see you next week.
Love, Grandma

erin said...

what a great list! I may use this as inspiration for ours! :)

Mom said...

Here's to lots of summer fun! :) Love you, Mom